Pages

Monday, June 9, 2008

Song Thoughts: The Luckiest by Ben Folds


This was the least cheesy music video I could find for the song. The important part is to listen to the words, so if the images are distraction, look away. (At the bottom is a version with just lyrics on the screen.) I get the sense that the video is lacking because the director and editor were not working together.


I found this song a few weeks ago and can’t get it out of my head. I guess it’s an indication that I’m a sappy romantic. Whether I’m in or out of a relationship, songs like these strike a chord. Chances are you know me and knew that. If you don’t know me and are reading from another country, well there’s a window into the soul of a stranger. The thing I like about this song is its simplicity. It feels like its stream of consciousness, a man telling a woman in his own way that he loves her. It isn’t polished and it isn’t perfect, he’s just sharing thoughts off the top of his head. At times those thoughts don’t make sense or are awkward and I love that. In my opinion that’s a pure expression of his love.

This song reminds me of “Your Song” by Elton John; words that come out of sitting in each other’s arms and just talking. While I love well-written poetry where each word is deliberate and well placed, I also love clunky and simple expressions. This man is expressing how fortunate he is to have found her. Well done Ben Folds, well done.

favorite line


“I love you more than I have ever found a way to say to you.”







Video with just lyrics.

0 comments:

© 2011 trent lewis

all rights reserved