Pages

Monday, June 2, 2008

Indy is Back. This is a good thing and a bad thing.

***Standard Spoiler Warning. This article contains my opinions on this film and reveals specific plot points. It also spoils the film by pointing out that it is not as good as we’d expect/want it to be. Read at your own risk.***
Photobucket
Indy has always had a sidekick helping him along the way. This time it’s Mutt, really we’re going to call him Mutt. Mr. Lucas, please don’t call the next film Mutt Jones and the Search for Slick Shoes. (yeah, that was the uber-80’s reference.)


I wanted it to be good. I didn’t pay attention to the negative reviews and I went into the theater with hope. I had just watched all three of the Indy movies that day before entering the theater. (A great treat for a post-finals Saturday.) I came in with a skip in my step and ready to pick up where we left off. The initial shots are just beautiful; the cinematography was in line with the other films. The visual effects looked believable and didn’t take me out of the story. I wondered what was practical and what was CGI because it all fit seamlessly.

It was just great to see Harrison Ford back in the Fedora. While they gave the occasional nod to his age, I was thankful that the film didn’t overemphasize the point. For an example of overemphasizing this point, see Lethal Weapon 4. I felt like the first 40 minutes rode on the foundation of the first 3 films. As the film went on, I got bored and was finding myself the victim of a lame script. The movie does follow the basic Indy formula, but a good formula can be ruined by bad content. It felt like there was so much exposition. Characters just sat around and talked about things, so boring. I think of Last Crusade, when Indy finds the X in the middle of the museum. The way the camera was moving was so interesting while still providing the needed information. Also there was something different about the way Harrison Ford delivered lines. It seemed off to me and bothered me throughout the film.

I had some problems with the plot and the script. For years it was a bad script that kept the main players from making a 4th film; they wanted to get it right. In my opinion, they needed to work much more on this script. I think a story about aliens is interesting and really fitting for the 50’s. I loved all of this in the first 40 minutes. In fact as the movie went on I became less forgiving. Early in the film I chuckled when Indy was catapulted about a mile inside a refrigerator. Sure, I suspended belief but at this point I was in the movies hands and willing to take a ride. As I grew bored and the script kept punishing me, I became unforgiving. Swinging from branches like Tarzan along monkeys? Driving your car into a branch that will launch back and hit your enemies? Taking your boat-car down multiple waterfalls? Suspending my belief during a mine car chase didn’t bother me in Temple of Doom, so why was this annoying. Because I was annoyed, bored and frustrated.

The villain was not evil to me. She felt cartoon-ish and I wasn’t satisfied when she met her end. In fact I really didn’t care that she died. I found LaBeouf’s character to be a nice sidekick. The only thing that annoyed me was his name. Both Mutt and LaBeouf are silly names but I see Mutt as a choice, so I take issue with that. The interplay between Indy and his son was nice, and very reminiscent of the Last Crusade dynamics of Henry Jr. & Sr. I’d like to see LaBeouf make some movies after this in the Indy style. It could be interesting and fun to watch.

I think my viewing the previous three films on the day I saw Crystal Skull set the bar too high. I also think it’s worth having the bar high. One thing I loved about my two favorite films of the four (Raiders & Last Crusade) was the biblical centerpiece. While it may be easy to dismiss this opinion as being skewed by my beliefs, I’m not a Left Behind loving Fox News parrot that wants the bible to invade every corner of TV and film. Okay, with that out of the way, I really like having the catholic lore and biblical imagery in the movies I love. I find it intriguing. I also enjoy the ending of those films because the moral of the story seems to be “Don’t mess with God.” Villains learned that you can’t use God’s power to advance evil, and he’s going to teach you a lesson for trying. Awww…just writing about it makes me want to pop Raiders and Last Crusade back in the DVD player.

Overall my recommendation is to see this movie in the theater. It is worth seeing and while not as good as Raiders it is better than Temple of Doom. Remember that I am a super-fan and really set the bar high. I love Indy and will likely see this movie again in the theater to give it another chance. I think the franchise is deserving of my $9.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Overall, I would say I enjoyed the movie. I think I would have enjoyed it more if ::spoiler warning:: they had had Spalko absorb all the knowledge and she died (with the stereotypic psychic-strained induced nosebleed of course) then everything would collasp via booby trap much like everything else Indy touches. I didn't mind the alien/sci-fi theme but the UFO at the end was a bit much for me. I still enjoyed it overall though.

I think what you have to do is view Crystal Skull as exactly what it is, Indiana Jones 20 years later. You can't compare it to the original three. It won't measure up.

And I thought Mutt's name was a clever pun. He is a slighty less subtle and more, well, 50's version of Indiana, which was "the dog's name."

Trent Lewis said...

"stereotypic psychic-strained induced nosebleed" made me erupt in laughter. well done.

i didn't even think of the mutt pun, and yet now it seems so obvious. still, mutt jones doesn't work for me.

thanks for a comment that made me laugh and think.

Anonymous said...

As much as i love Indy im really sad that the movie viewing community has adopted the term "Nuking the Fridge".
It's like jumping the shark but only for movies. it made me sad. And tarzan williams was cool. And you didn't even mention killer ants that devour a communist fighter straight down to the ant cave. Although i do love your blog i feel like you hit the other points in the movie that bothered people other than the alien. oh and to clear things up it wasn't an alien. it was an inter dimensional being that looked like an alien. lol. and i <3 marion ravenwood. now marion Jones

© 2011 trent lewis

all rights reserved