Pages

Wednesday, June 25, 2008

FYI-Feed Your iPod: Justin Nozuka

Photobucket
It’s difficult to look cool while singing. I guess you have to be a half American, half Japanese, Canadian to pull it off.
I am zero part Japanese so when I sing I look ridiculous.


It was late on a Tuesday night and I was new music hunting. There is something very gratifying about finding new artists. Not only do I enjoy the new music, but I enjoy the process, the hunt. I look at different artists on myspace, read various articles, and click around on the iTunes suggestions of songs “listeners also bought”. I came across a guy named Justin Nozuka that Tuesday night. Initially it was odd, he felt so familiar. I kept trying to figure out how I knew him and concluded I didn’t know him at all. I just enjoyed him so much that it felt familiar.

Justin has a sound like Jason Mraz with the soul of Lauren Hill. Its great to hear a new artist with a good sound and catchy hooks. These aren’t just words he’s singing their emotions that are crying out. The album isn’t perfect. It starts strong but tends to loose steam in the middle. Thankfully it ends with 5 single worthy tracks. I did some singing in High School and still consider myself an American Idol Contender. (This is my last year to audition and put my money where my mouth is.) If I were to make an album, it would be similar to this album...so so so good. This album has haunted my iPod and already has a play count of 38. I may need to take a few weeks off if I can, we’ll see. By the way, I don’t really think I’m an American Idol Contender, I was just kidding…you got that…right??

Give these songs a listen and form your own thoughts.

after tonight

the first song i heard and i was won over. such a great sound and a simple love song.


oh momma

this song is sweet and showcases his vocals. plus it reminds me of my grandpa who calls his wife, my grandma “momma”. this not only reminds me of my grandfather, it reminds me that i will also call my wife momma. ladies be warned.


save him

this is one of the most intense songs i've heard in years… rips my heart out.


Now you should buy the album… If you only pick a few songs then go with these, in this order:
“After Tonight”
“Save Him”
“Oh Momma”
“I’m in Peace”
“If I gave you my life”

So, what do you think??? Comment and/or take the poll.

0 comments:

© 2011 trent lewis

all rights reserved