Pages

Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Get Smart Got me.

Photobucket
I like both their wigs. (yes, that's a rug on Steve's head, for evidence see The Office Season 1)


While we are in the middle of the jam-packed summer season, for me this weekend seemed lackluster. I wasn't really into anything that was coming out. Since I saw 2 movies last weekend, there weren't a lot of options. With garbage like Zohan and Love Guru, this felt like take out the trash weekend. I guess I will go for "Get Smart". I was indifferent about this movie, but I feel like a night at the cinema so lets do this.

As I sat in the theater, without snacks and with a headache I found myself irritable. Little things were bugging me more than usual. Older couple sitting directly in front of me, forcing me to put my feet down when there were plenty of other seats...silly old people. Teenagers talking over the previews in the back of the theater and yelling at their friends sitting at the other end of the theater...pesky kids. The advertisement before the movie encouraging me to "get here early next time to see more" of their advertisements...darn corporate greed. Okay, I was in a not so good mood by the time the film started.

About 15 minutes in I became very self aware of my high-pitched cackle. (After a recording session a few days ago I realized my laugh is kind of annoying.) My genuine laugh out loud moments were frequent. I walked into this movie with little desire to see it, annoyed, and no knowledge of the television show it was based on. While I am pretty pop culture savvy, Get Smart is one that I had little to no knowledge of. I didn't spend the movie comparing it to the TV show, I just laughed. This is by no means a perfect movie, its campy but enjoyable. I am a fan of Carell but I was surprised by Anne Hathaway. Good comic timing and I think the technical term is "very pretty".

So, if you find yourself at the theater deciding what to see, don't hesitate to go with Get Smart. It is fun, doesn't take itself seriously, simple laughs, worth the money. It may even cure you of headaches, silly old people, pesky kids and corporate greed.


5 comments:

Alyzzle said...

I was going to ask you to see this and give me feedback. I didn't even have to ask, you just did it. This is why you're a great friend :) I wanted to see it but read not so great things about it. I'm sure I'll laugh if you did. And your laugh isn't annoying but it is pretty high pitched...it doesn't bother me, I'm just letting you know.

Trent Lewis said...

I'm here to help. I actually think about people I'm helping when I choose to see crap. Thanks for the thanks.

Thanks for saying my laugh doesn't annoy you while acknowledging the unmanly frequency.

-t

Anonymous said...

The only question i have in regards to this blog is. Would you believe Chuck Norris with a bb gun. Twists were good and use of old tv show gadgets rocked.

Anonymous said...

I loved the movie. Your analysis is right on. Carell actually did a good job mimicking the character from the TV show. Even the cameo from Bill Murray was funny.

Trent Lewis said...

Tim: I believe Chuck Norris unequivocally

Aaron: thanks for the comment, I agree... I laugh at Bill Murray unequivocally.

© 2011 trent lewis

all rights reserved