Pages

Saturday, March 27, 2010

TV: 24



3/27/10: "I was right."


Fox Cancels 24.




2/17/10: "24: since we've broken up, let's be honest... it's not me, it's YOU!"


This picture is of Kim Bauer, the Daughter of Jack Bauer from the Fox television phenomenon "24", gazing upon a cougar. During Season 2 with intense operations of the Counter Terrorism Unit, we had a B-plot that involved the heroes daughter roaming the woods. I remember thinking, "this is BAD, really really BAD", but the rest of the show was so darn good I dealt with it.

"24" started for me as a solo experience. I borrowed the DVDs and knocked out entire seasons within a few days. Then, as the seasons rolled on, it became clear that friends watched the show also, so I began hosting a "24" night and we would enjoy it together. While I remember the ridiculous moments, we dealt with it together. I think that story-wise, 24 lost me when they had the bomb go off in Valencia in the first few episodes and there was no sense of consequences. Everyone just chugged along, even though a bomb went off a few miles from the center of LOS ANGELES!!! But, we stuck with it and "we" is what I think kept "24" on the map for me.

When a show is a shared experience, you tolerate a lot more. When I moved and lost "24" night, well I started noticing the flaws. I've talked with a few of my friends in my relatively new home of Long Beach about getting together for a "24" Night. Each response was the same, "Yeah, I use to watch that show but haven't seen it lately, it just got lame." When the day comes that they announce the last season of "24", I don't see people rallying behind this show because there won't be questions to be answered as is the case for "Lost".  I think we will all wonder if Jack dies and then that'll be it.

I am sad to see this show take a dive, I wish they'd end it 2 years ago with a film, but that isn't the case. In the mean time, it's now just that ex-girlfriend that I feel bad for when I see them randomly. I just wish they would get married so I wouldn't feel bad.* When I see advertisements for "24", I think "Oh, just get cancelled for goodness sakes."




(*no specific ex-girlfriend was considered while writing this. If you happen to be an ex-girlfriend and are reading this blog, please know that I enjoy randomly seeing you and don't feel bad about those encounters. I was able to write so specifically because I am creative, I promise, no really, I'm creative.)

0 comments:

© 2011 trent lewis

all rights reserved