Pages

Monday, May 19, 2008

The wait is over, it’s on to the finals!

Photobucket
Syesha, I appreciate how you carried yourself during courtesy week.
Too bad you didn’t step it up and go out with a bang.



Last night I bumped into a friend that I hadn’t seen for a while and he mentioned my blog. It always makes me happy to know that people are actually reading this thing. At times it feels like I release these things into cyberspace and no one reads them. Anyway, my friend commented that I talk a lot about American Idol. At this point it’s the only TV show that I keep up with weekly. While life is too often described as busy, I do enjoy the 90 minutes of Idol. Plus it is the only show for which I cannot avoid a spoiler. With other shows like Lost or The Office, I can generally change the channel or change the subject quickly enough. But Idol is everywhere and it only takes a single sentence to ruin the surprise. I do love the Idol and want to experience with the rest of my friends.

With that, the show does have some areas that are lacking. There is a great article in last weeks Entertainment Weekly that gives suggestions for improving the show. I completely agree with the overhauling that is suggested. If you want, take a minute and give it a read. Fox announced that they are cutting the results show to a half hour next season. Hopefully this means they will cut the horrible Ford commercials and the group numbers. I heard Seacrest say that he wasn’t sure how they’d cram all that show into 30 minutes. Really Ryan? We’re talking about you saying a name. It could actually be done in 15 seconds.

Okay, enough about programming issues, on to moments that made me laugh from last week’s Idol. Syesha does a crappy rendition of Fever and Ryan Seacrest makes sure that we see the “classic chair”. Syesha’s performance of Fever was her giving up and not trying to be relevant. She was giving a Broadway Audition rather than creating a case that she is a potential pop star. The most laughable moment though was David Archuleta’s pathetic attempt at exuding street cred by singing “Boo”. It made him seem pathetic. The news that is swirling about his father is also making him appear less like an Idol and more like a Von Trapp child. (More on that at the end of this post.)

The finals are working out to be everything that I expected and what everyone wanted. My feeling is that if Archuleta wins, the show will end up loosing fans and followers. The tween crowd is going to tune in, no matter what. But my feeling is that the 22-32 demographic will not buy it and many will tune out. My prediction is that when the finalists perform with other pop stars Archuleta will look lame and out of his league, while Cook will be in step with whomever he is paired with. Again, let’s hope that justice can beat 13-year-old girls.

I stand by my Prediction that our next American Idol is…

1. David Cook


Trouble in the Archuleta Family?


In the event that you haven’t heard about David A’s daddy drama, here’s a little video that helps paint the picture.

If you don’t want to watch a video then the combination of images below gives a representation of the personality dynamics between David & his Dad. (Note the German Flair!)
Photobucket
David is Kurt Von Trapp; young, naïve and totally dependent on his parent.
Photobucket
David’s Father is a tyrant that is barking orders and annoying everyone around him.

(Note: Anytime you want to strengthen your argument, throw in a reference to the infamous Führer)
(Note: My last note was dripping with sarcasm. Don't do that, it's annoying.)

4 comments:

Alyzzle said...

It made me laugh and I thought you might enjoy it. This is what Michael Slezak of ew.com says:

"David Archuleta is cuter than a baby chick tentatively poking its head from a shell, and when he wraps his clear voice around a sappy ballad, it's a three-hankie experience for tweens and grandmas across the nation. But if the goal of 'American Idol' is finding the next great recording artist, David Cook will (and should) take home the season 7 crown. The resident rocker stared down a decades-old Roberta Flack ballad and transformed it into a downloadable delight; Archuleta, meanwhile, attempted to go modern on Chris Brown's 'With You' and looked like he was having as much fun as the choir geek getting shoved into his locker by a group of football players. Ryan Seacrest wants us to believe it's the tightest race in Idol history, but I say next week is nothing more than David Cook's victory lap."

Trent Lewis said...

I did enjoy it, that's really funny. My kind of writer!

Anonymous said...

Well, now that AI is over and "justice is served", I guess that I can expect some more movie reviews on here until season 8 rolls back around.

I will be catching the Indy flick this evening with some friends. Not to dictate your future blog content, but I look forward to reading your two cents on it as well.

Trent Lewis said...

You're right Akio, the blog is gonna miss the weekly AI update. With the summer movies, and some concerts I should keep up. Plus now that its summer maybe I will actually read a book and blog about it.

Thanks for reading!

-trent

© 2011 trent lewis

all rights reserved