Pages

Monday, May 12, 2008

FYI-Feed Your iPod: New Songs that Move

Feed your iPod is a new feature here at Thoughts of Trent. This is a short list of songs that you should consider purchasing to make your iPod more well rounded.

Random Purchase Recommendation


Photobucket
WARNING: This article talks about MTV's The Grind and my attempts at dancing like a member of Bel Biv Devoe. Read at your own risk.



I was asked to come up with some music for a friend to purchase and so I looked at my Purchased play list on iTunes and found the songs that I have bought in the last few months that I bump all the time. Since my friend is a diverse lady I gave her both Hip Hop and Rock. It’s funny how I listen to Muse and then Britney Spears and don’t skip a beat. I’m an odd fellow, so I don’t suggest others try that. This is why I have them divided by category, enjoy.

Hippidy Hoppidy


Don't Stop the Music- Rhianna
For a week I didn’t know who sang this song, I just knew I liked it and it sampled Michael Jackson. I write ridiculously fast when I put this song on repeat.
Piece of Me- Britney Spears
What a crazy thought? A new song from Bi-Polar Britney that makes me feel bad for her and shake my booty all at the same time.
The Way I Are (feat. Keri Hilson & D.O.E.)- Timbaland
Good beat, makes me want to dance even though I can’t. When I was in 7th grade I watched episodes of “The Grind” on MTV to try and learn to dance maybe I will do that again.
Give It to Me (feat. Justin Timberlake & Nelly Furtado)- Timbaland
Clearly I shared too much for the last song, and these two Timbaland songs are one in the same for me.
Low (feat. T-Pain)- Flo Rida
Yes, it’s overplayed but any song that can make me consider seeing “Step Up 2” deserves to be on the list. I am definitely sharing too much in this article.
What's Golden- Jurassic 5
Now here we go. Jurassic 5 doesn’t get a lot of Top 40 exposure, but they have amazing songs. This one is one of my favorite of theirs. They remind me of a modern Sugarhill Gang.
Kiss Kiss (feat. T-Pain)- Chris Brown
This song makes me wish I was 18 again, and I very rarely wish I could go back in time and be a different age. It also makes me wish I was black, but it doesn’t take much for me to wish for that.
Beware of the Boys (Mundian to Bach Ke)- Panjabi MC
I like songs that mix different styles. This song has a sitar and some Indian percussion mixed with the theme from Knight Rider. Now that is what I’m talking about!

Rocky Rolly


Paralyzer- Finger Eleven
This song has a great hook, and while I don’t see myself enjoying the vocals most of the time, it works for this song. Good sound.
The Good Left Undone- Rise Against
I have heard this song a few times on my Ipod at the Gym and its funny how I speed up and slow down multiple times in the same song. Good driving beat though.
Best of You- Foo Fighters
I’m not a hardcore Foo fan, but there is something about this song that makes me feel nostalgic and I have no clue why. It’s telling when a song seems to bring up emotions to a memory you don’t have.
Icky Thump- The White Stripes
From the intro, I fell in love with this song. It just sounds raw and distorted and yummy. Kudos to this Brother Sister team…or is it Husband Wife? I forget. Either way, it has a killer beat and sick guitar and fresh sound. (I tried to mix up my adjectives there and feel it was a mistake, apologies)
Where Is My Mind?- Pixies
This is an oldie but a goodie! You may remember this song from the end of Fight Club… It’s a great anthem for that movie and that movie is great so therefore it is great. (I was afraid of my adjectives for the last song, so I stuck with great here)
Knights of Cydonia- Muse
I found this song in the midst of my Guitar Hero career. I have found an appreciation for Muse and for this song that feels like two songs in one. It’s very Queen-esque.
Starlight- Muse
This song is much more of a single and sounds like an edgy Coldplay. Every time this comes on KROQ, I perk up, roll down the windows and just escape. Well done Muse, well done.
This Ain't a Scene, It's an Arms Race- Fall Out Boy
Ok, I couldn’t love this song anymore than I do. I have no clue what the song is about but I know that it is ridiculously catchy. I love it when songs go to just vocals and drums, and this song does that well. Its what I would call fancy-punk which isn’t usually my style, but I make an exception here.


There’s my List…What would be on your list of newer songs that are UP and driving and available on iTunes?

3 comments:

Jenn Barrett said...

ok you have to listen to Check Your Coat by O'Neal Mcknight. You also must see the video.

Trent Lewis said...

Thanks for the comment. I bought it based on your recommendation alone. I like it a lot. I will check out the video.

Alyzzle said...

Seeing that you put thought into my request, I took the time to come up with a few jamz I get down to. Some are new, some are old, all are good.

*Shawty Get Loose - Lil Mama feat. Chris Brown
*Tokyo Drift - Teriyaki Boyz
*Ugly - Bubba Sparxxx
*R&B Junkie - Janet Jackson
*The New Workout Plan - Kanye West
*Bleed it Out - Linkin Park
*If it's Lovin' that you want - Rihanna
*Sick of Goodbyes - Sparklehorse
*Damaged - Danity Kane

© 2011 trent lewis

all rights reserved