Pages

Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Made of Honor; I enjoyed this movie…
IN 1997 WITH JULIA ROBERTS!

***Standard Spoiler Warning. This article contains my opinions on this film and a film made 11 years ago. It reveals the “surprise” endings, and while I find these twists and turns predictable, you may want to be surprised. If that is the case, don’t read***

Photobucket
Note to Studios: Audiences are not so smitten with McDreamy
that they won’t notice you are recycling a film.




It was called “My Best Friend’s Wedding”, I saw it with my ex-girlfriend a few days after we broke up. She cried the entire ride home after our friend date. I was 17, I was stupid and thought that we could pull off being friends immediately following a break up. Now while my stupidity may have only slightly receded over the years, my memory remains strong. Even if my memory had failed me, TBS consistently reminds me by airing this film. So why did the people at Columbia Pictures think we would forget the movie they released 11 years ago? How did the same studio think they could pull this remake off? Well, maybe if they change the genders, give it a hip modern soundtrack, and make countless Starbucks references THEN we are sure to assume that this is a new film.

They were wrong. Not only does this movie lack the chemistry and shinning performances like the original, it makes what I think is a simple mistake. They change the ending. The girl gets the guy or the guy gets the girl… I’m confused…Patrick Dempsey marries his best friend. He storms the castle-like-church on a horse, stops the wedding and she kisses back. GIVE ME A BREAK! The best part for me of the original “My Best Friend’s Wedding” was the fact that she didn’t get her way. It was true to life, she learned her lesson too late and this guy passed her by.

It wasn’t about marrying that one right person, it was about her learning a lesson and growing as an individual. In fact, the original cut of that 1997 film the protagonist meets a new guy at the end and we get the indication that she is going to be just fine. Instead she talks with her friend about what she learned, STILL not marrying her best friend. I love that ending. Not only because I was able to turn to my ex-girlfriend and say “see, they don’t always end up together. That’s why I don’t believe in ‘one true love’” (I was a real jerk, I know.) While my comment was out of place, the truth shared in that movie remains true. It was also a nice to have a Rom-Com that gives this realistic portrayal.

When they went with the lame ending in “Made of Honor”, this movie really lost me. Overall, I found the film to be Average. I heard a website give it a C-. I agree with this grade. You may think that writing an entire blog about the things that annoyed me about this film would mean it had nothing good. It did have some funny moments and easy laughs, but again, just average. So, if you have to choose between going out and seeing “Made of Honor” or staying in and renting “My Best Friend’s Wedding” I would choose renting the Julia Roberts movie. Heck, it may even spark an interesting discussion about how there isn’t one true love, and people that seem perfect for each other don’t always get together. Now that I think about it, and knowing my track record, that may not be smart… go see “Made of Honor”

0 comments:

© 2011 trent lewis

all rights reserved