Pages

Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Iron Man; A pleasant surprise!

Photobucket
I was very indifferent about Robert Downey Jr. but after seeing this film
I think I am now a fan, well done sir.



It didn’t even make my list of movies that I am excited about seeing this summer. I was actually a little frustrated at the movie. I didn’t quite see why Summer needed to start before I was ready and this movie was ushering it in on May 2nd, even though I love Summer. I didn’t see how the director of Elf and writer of Swingers would have a good take on a comic book movie, even though I am a fan of Favreau. I have zero knowledge of Iron Man and think this is just another B-list comic book character, even though I love superhero movies.

Friday morning is when the tide started to turn. I am seeing friends raving about the movie via their status on Facebook. That night I ended up seeing “Made of Honor” with a bunch of friends that are girls. (I know, I shared my opinion in a post last week.) As we left the theater I spotted people coming out of the theater showing Iron Man with a spring in their step. Their body language was similar to that of people getting of Space Mountain. Smiles and excitement are evident and they want to get back in line for another ride. Then the next afternoon my friend Andrew says the movie was so good he wants to see it again that night after improv. Sure enough, we get tickets for a screening at the Arclight that was added due to high demand, just after midnight.

The theater was packed and the movie started. I LOVED IT! As we exited the theater after staying for the “surprise at the end” (note: no need to stay if you don’t read comic books) Andrew said “I don’t even need to ask if you liked it, you were leaning forward the whole time.” Apparently I lean forward when I am enjoying a movie or a play. I really enjoyed this movie. The special effects were hardly noticed which is a sign of greatness. The performances were spot on, even though I did laugh at Jeff Bridges as a villain because he had some funny ”dude” moments it was still great casting.

This is a Rock ‘n Roll Superhero movie. I don’t know how else to describe it. It is fun and makes you think, I wish I could do that. That’s what a good superhero movie does; it makes you wish you had that power or that suit. I find most comic movies frustrating in that I am just waiting for the thing to happen so they can move on and become the title character. In this movie, the set up was just as much fun as the pay off. It had lots of laughs, great action sequences oh man, it was great.

So, this Summer Season is already surprising me with Iron Man. In fact it is surprising the studios too with such a huge opening and a great second weekend that beat out the odds on favorite, Speed Racer, but more on that later. I give Iron Man the “Push your friends to see this instead of anything else that is out between now and May 22nd (Indy Release!) because you will be entertained.”

0 comments:

© 2011 trent lewis

all rights reserved