Pages

Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Gone Baby Gone = Good Ben Good

Photobucket
I've met both these guys. That's right I name dropped in a caption, deal with it. (please note I am dealing with it as I've been ripped apart for this)




I had heard a little bit about this movie when it was in the theater but by the time I decided to see it, it left the multiplex quietly. So when I realized I missed it, I put it in my Netflix queue to ensure I would see it. Well, it showed up this last week and I must say, I really enjoy this film.

Knowing that superstar Ben Affleck was directing, I was pleasantly surprised to not be distracted during the film. In fact a few minutes in, I forgot who director was and just enjoyed the ride. I believed Casey Affleck in his role, Morgan Freeman is always great and I was once again disappointed with Ed Harris. Ed Harris is just not believable to me and is a distracting over-actor.

This movie is not light-hearted and asks some thought provoking questions about right and wrong. I found myself asking some really deep questions and considered the moral quandary of the lead character. (In case you’ve seen it and you’re wondering, I’d have done the same thing as the lead.) It also makes some great statements about the media capitalizing on missing children. I personally loathe modern news reports and shows like Greta Van Susteren. Sadly though, an entire genre of television is created around tragedy, not for the sake of journalism but as a sick version of reality television.

Overall Gone Baby Gone is an interesting story that is sure to prompt some great post-viewing conversations. I give it a “pick it up Friday night and watch it with some friends. It’s a good film and will create some interesting dialogue long after it ends.” It leaves me wanting to see what else Ben Affleck might do behind the camera. Only time will tell if he’s the next Clint Eastwood, but before giving out such a grandiose label, I will start here; “Good Ben Good.”

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad you liked the film, though I was sorry to hear that you agreed with the protagonist's final decision. I liked that the film shows him having to deal with the consequences of his decision at the end. However, I thought the choice he made, when he made it, was one that actually placed all responsibility on the shoulders of others. Rather than choosing to do something for which HE would have to be accountable, without support (which to me is the true meaning of ethics), he instead shifts all responsibility onto the police/social workers, while also appealing to some "objective" moral imperative. In effect, it is a decision that refuses to actually make a decision.

Either way, it's a fantastic film. Like you, I'm interested to see more from both of the Affleck brothers.

Keep the posts coming. I'll be looking for something on Funny Games soon.

-Scott

Trent Lewis said...

I appreciate your comment! And I too liked that he had to deal with the consequences. For me it is a reminder that doing the right thing will not always feel good or be embraced by the people around you.

I think you make an interesting point about him not taking responsibility. I think he clearly feels responsibility which is conveyed in the last shot of the film. But I understand what you're saying.

We agree, good movie. As for Funny Games, I am getting around to it. I am still trying to cleanse my pallet. That's partially why I've been listening to 80's music all day.

Thanks for the comment.

-t

Anonymous said...

I DON'T understand what anonymous Scott is saying at all... he makes NO sense. The character's final choice is a defining mark of his acceptance of responsibility, for it takes into consideration ALL aspects of the situation (the life of the child, the life of the mother, the life of the uncle, the life of the "law-givers," and even the protagonist's own life)-- He knows it is going to hurt, but he chooses the right thing anyway, a decision that stands in stark contrast to the variety of decisions made by many of the individuals mentioned above, who made choices they felt were best. I mean, weren't the "better choices" the ones who got the child in the mess in the first place? Come'on, anonymous scotty, step up your game!

--wifey

Trent Lewis said...

WOW, your wife totally called you out Mr. Scott. I don't know what to say. This is the second time a girl has called her boy out on my fairly new blog. What an interesting trend.

She makes some good points, care to respond? Good luck Anonymous.

-t

© 2011 trent lewis

all rights reserved