Pages

Thursday, March 27, 2008

Don’t let the title deceive you, it isn’t funny or gamey.

Photobucket
THIS GUY IS CREEPY, DO NOT BE DECEIVED



Okay, wow, where to start…Funny Games is a remake of a German film with the same title, but in German. It’s the same director, filming it shot for shot on an identical set. I haven’t seen the original and I’m not sure I ever well. Candidly, I am not sure I will ever see the American version again. My friend Scott recommended I see it, and after viewing this utterly disturbing film I called him immediately. I yelled “What are you doing to me?!?” into the phone as he picked up. It was 11:30 his local time in Oklahoma and he was definitely in bed with his wife. Still, I needed to talk to someone, so it might as well be the person that inflicted this knot in my stomach.

He asked if I hated it and I couldn’t say that, it wasn’t that simple. I was extremely disturbed by it. He then told me that it was the most disturbing movie he’d ever seen. At this point I wondered why he would insist I saw the film. Is this cinematic Schadenfreude? (If you missed German class or Avenue Q, look it up. You’re on the Internet.) Should I question 15 years of friendship? As the conversation continued I realized that this wasn’t a punishment, this was an opportunity for discussion.

We discussed the role that violence takes in the media. We discussed how it was interesting that at times the evil that breaks all the rules operates under it’s own skewed morality. This movie brings up interesting questions and doesn’t glorify violence along the way even though it is full of violence. This is a film that will bring about good conversation among certain people. I certainly wouldn’t recommend this film for everyone. When I saw it in the theater, 6 or 16 people walked out and I believe many of my friends would walk out.

It has some great performances, especially Michael Pitt who plays one of the two villains. This guy gives us the creepiest freeze-frame ending since Michael Jackson’s Thriller. Aaahhh, I really was creeped out by this movie. So I will give this a recommendation to the few; those who like artsy films and are willing to take a ride will find a well-crafted film and a deep post-film conversation.

0 comments:

© 2011 trent lewis

all rights reserved