Pages

Monday, November 8, 2010

Movie: Zoolander


"Happy... Happy..."
Will Ferrel and Ben Stiller are ridiculous and it works.

I remember seeing Zoolander in the Theater. The reason I remember it was because it was a few weeks after the 9/11 attacks. I remember being in the theater and feeling like this was so ridiculous and Stiller was so inept that it was just what I needed. While I'd been pretty sick this last week it was far from the emotional funk 9/11 brought about. With that said, Zoolander had a similar effect.

It's interesting that movies like this are not strong as far as story, and have points where they lag. But, the quotability is through the roof and makes up for what is lacking. Zoolander is not for people that take life or movies too seriously. It is for those that are willing to laugh at the narcissism of the fashion world. Those that will enjoy laughing at a simpleton. I enjoy Will Ferrel's sophomoric humor, and this seems to be one of his strongest role. I feel like he has gone on to become his own worst enemy in the films that he makes, becoming self-indulgent (i.e. Semi-Pro {see review}).

I would like to see Ben Stiller make more movies like this, because I've grown tired of his Meet the Parents character that has become his default. Zoolander is silly, Ben Stiller plays that well. Watching this movie made me laugh, made me want to quote it with friends, it was just what the doctor ordered. I loved it.

0 comments:

© 2011 trent lewis

all rights reserved