Pages

Monday, November 8, 2010

Movie: Dave



Kevin Kline is a funny fellow that is currently under-utilized by Hollywood but in his sweet spot with the film Dave.

Remember this movie? It came out around the same time as American President, another Presidential Biopic. While American President is filled with great Sorkin Dialogue and is clearly a predecessor for West Wing, Dave is just a fun Ivan Reitman film. I'm not sure they make movies like this anymore but I find them very endearing. Today comedy is aimed at the Nickelodeon/silly, raunchy/gross or esoteric/hipster. I am not sure that a movie like Ghostbusters could get made today.

Dave is a guy that looks just like the current president and because of illness and conspiracy, he in essence takes office. Silly premise but it allows a guy with limits and innocence, become the most powerful man in the western world. I liked the hope that this movie conveys. I appreciate the simplicity it seems to bring towards politics. It is a simple man trying to do good. It is a film in which the good guy wins. It's just fun. I enjoy political intrigue very much, but I also enjoy a simple movie where a guy invites a childhood friend to help cut the US budget over bratwurst.

0 comments:

© 2011 trent lewis

all rights reserved