Pages

Friday, August 1, 2008

The day the Dodgers Lost, but I won.

Photobucket
This was a picture from our box, the row in front of us is enjoying the 7th inning stretch.


I have been going to Dodger games since I was a baby. Growing up I can remember my dad going upstairs at my friend Jon’s house. Our dads would meet and divide the season tickets we shared. Back then my main concern was if we got to go to “free bobble head day”. The games of my youth were focused on chocolate malts with wooden spoons and sneaking down to the lobby between the dugouts to try and get autographs after the game. As a kid I can remember how bummed I was that I didn’t get to go to the World Series (1988). My father consoled me with the promise, “you can go next year, we’ll be back.”

20 years later we haven’t been back to the World Series. My father has been at many other great LA sports moments. He was at the Track & Field finals for the 1984 Olympics and I was at home with grandma. He was at Game 4: Lakers vs. Kings during the 2002 NBA Playoffs when Divac slapped the ball out and Horry hit the three to win the game. I was in Missouri at a sports bar getting strange looks from the locals as I ran around the restaurant screaming. He saw Gibson hit it out in the bottom of the 9th, Game 1 and I was at home watching on TV! I have been sure that my father is kicking my butt when it comes to witnessing LA Sports history.

Tuesday, July 8th, I gained something my father has never had as I made my way to Chavez Ravine for the Dodgers vs. the Braves. Now this may not have been a historical game, in fact it was an embarrassing loss. It was the best Dodger Game of my adult life and it all started with a text message. My friend Emily mentioned that her fiancĂ© Jeff had great tickets from work and they’d love to have me join them and another friend. Now whether the tickets are amazing or garbage if I am available I will never pass down Dodger tickets. I have to be honest, I was questioning whether the seats were that good, then I was told something by Jeff that still echoes in my mind; “2ND row field level. It’s ‘all you can eat’ in this section, so come prepared.”

I prepared indeed. People thought I was on a religious fast that day and I assured them that this fast had nothing to do with God, but everything to do with Dodger Dogs. When we arrived at the park we made our way down to our seats; one row back, right in front of 3rd base. As we sat down Nomar Garciaparra stood in front of us signing autographs. I could see the entire dugout to my right. In fact at one point I yelled at the coach and other players responded with laughter. We made our way to the private club that had all the food and drinks you could eat. There were bags of peanuts for the taking and trays so that you could take them back to your seats. Dodger Dogs, salads, enchiladas, prime rib, soft-serve, and more. The box seats actually had a counter for you to put your food on. It was amazing.

After 28 years of visiting the stadium, I went into that night with the intention of making my money back with all the free food I’d put down. While I am a big guy, I am not a power eater, but that night I had a mission. Mission Accomplished by the way, I was in a food comma for the next 24 hours. The game was great because of the friends. That’s what I love about Dodger games, you just chat with your friends and watch a great game at your leisure. While this day was amazing, I look ahead to the future with fear. I am worried that I will never be able to top this experience and every other game just won’t be the same. While the loss wasn’t historical, it was a great night that I hope to experience again. (Hint, hint…Jeff!)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Isn't the Dugout Club amazing? We sat 3 rows behind home plate last Sunday thanks to a friend & their season tix! It was the best game ever and the food was soooo yummy! Don't you wish every Dodger game was that posh?

Trent Lewis said...

seriously amazing. your seats were way better, thats awesome. your friend should become my friend.

thanks for the comment

Anonymous said...

it was a touching story of the fact that your dad owned you in every way possible when it comes to sports. oh and free dodger dogs!

Nicole said...

i guess i do not understand why you have not posted in 10 days..thats right 10 days. i am going through withdrawals.

Trent Lewis said...

awww...thanks Nicole. I'm working on it. stay tuned.

© 2011 trent lewis

all rights reserved