Pages

Thursday, July 31, 2008

Jon Stewart is so funny, its true.


Watch the video then read the blog. The video will be worth your time, the blog’s worthiness is a crap shoot.


I’ve been a fan of the Daily Show for a while now. The writing is great and consistently makes me laugh and makes me think. After seeing this clip from Crossfire, I understand why the show is so great. Jon Stewart is funny and passionate. It would be easy to just make jokes each weekday at the current news, but the Daily Show has something that SNL’s “Weekend Update” and many others like it don’t have; An agenda. It would be easy for people to say that the Daily Show simply has a “left-wing agenda” and that would be a mistake. While I am sure the writers, producers and many of the viewers lean left, the agenda of the show isn’t about political parties.

The agenda is discourse, people debating issues on their own merit and making an educated decision. Stewart doesn’t see his show to be the place for this, it sees it as a catalyst for politicians and the media to pursue his agenda. When the media simply operates as a platform for inane talking points, it doesn’t fulfill its purpose. Free press was not written into the constitution so that media conglomerates could profit, it was intended to hold politicians feet to the fire.

I took a class in journalism and ethics in college and it made me long for the Agenda of the Daily Show to become reality. The teacher was an older gentleman who seemed to have little hope when he considered the lack of journalistic integrity among most outlets. I can post a blog like this with no sources and just my ramblings, I could make up any story I wanted. And the media can simply quote me and claim they didn’t need to have multiple reliable sources, they are just reporting on my reporting. This is sad.

I didn’t anticipate writing an article that is so pointed and passionate, but this is a passionate subject for me. I really want to see our nation have debates and discourse that go beyond talking points and rhetoric but make us ask ourselves fundamental questions. My hope and the hope of Jon Stewart is that the media will do the job. Until then I look forward to The Daily Show calling out people Monday through Thursday on Comedy Central at 11:00pm. I also appreciate that after this clip aired on CNN, they later canceled the lame “debate” of Crossfire. Go get ‘em Jon!

0 comments:

© 2011 trent lewis

all rights reserved