Pages

Sunday, July 6, 2008

Wall-E floored me.

Photobucket
When I find myself saying “I am so similar to Wall-E”, I’m reminded there’s a talented group of artists in Emeryville.


Everytime I caught a glimpse of Wall-E, I found myself a little nervous. As a stockowner of the Walt Disney Corporation, I have a fiscal desire for the movie to succeed. As an uber-fan of Pixar and Disney I have another motivation for want to see success. But still, a whole movie about a robot that doesn’t talk, I really didn’t know. I had faith that if anyone could pull it off, it would be the team that brought us Toy Story, The Incredibles and Finding Nemo. Even still, this is a movie about humans destroying earth and eventually becoming fat lethargic waifs in a world run by robots. I just didn’t know.

I went in with a desire to see success and was blown away. I loved this film. It starts of with photo-realistic imagery that is stunning, I really had to remind myself that this was a cartoon. The way they had the character set up his world and give us a window into his personality, it was entertaining to watch and an impressive feat considering he didn’t say a word. This was accomplished not by beeps and whistles, like R2-D2 in star wars (who I really believe is speaking English, seriously I can hear what he’s saying.) Within 15 minutes of this movie, I felt like I was identifying with this little robot. I felt like there were parts of our personalities that were very similar. I thought to myself, we could be friends. This is a fictional character, technically ones and zeros, and not using a voice. I realize I’ve been redundant here, but it can’t be said enough.

The film was fun, I followed the story with anticipation and concern. Some people are saying it is a heavy-handed “propaganda piece” about mans destructive nature. I found the story to be more about relationship and connection and living your life and not about going green. Some fox news junkies are going to be told by Sean Hannity to beware of the Al Gore agenda in the film, and these people need to think for themselves and consider the story and that it’s all about relationship.

I loved the love story, the depth of the relationship between two robots from two different worlds… SO GOOD! While I am not sure this movie has the repeatability or PPS (potential plush sales…stuffed animals) I know that it is a great story and a great accomplishment. Go rent a Charlie Chaplin or Buster Keaton movie and learn from the masters of the craft. Then head over to the theater and watch this millenniums “silent film” star, a little Johnny-5 looking robot named Wall-E. I give this a go to the theater tonight and have an open mind recommendation. My fears of dropping stock prices and poor story telling have been dashed…Best movie of the Year!

2 comments:

Alyzzle said...

"BEst movie of the year"? Wow...bold statement TTL2.

Trent Lewis said...

I know it, I went big!!! It's how I feel.

© 2011 trent lewis

all rights reserved