Pages

Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Book: Blink

2/16/10: "Interesting Read"

I was at Barnes & Noble to spend a gift card that I've had for nearly 5 years. (I'm not a fan of Barnes & Noble, wondering why? Click Here.) I wanted to get a book that would be fun and educational all at once. I'd read Malcolm Gladwell's "The Tipping Point" a few years back and really enjoyed it. It is some basic psychology wrapped up in easy to understand terms. Very accessible and very helpful. I would strongly recommend "The Tipping Point". So, while walking the aisles of I recognized the font and look of the book. I am not a dust jacket guy, as soon as I buy a book I throw them away, but this purchase affirms the need for a good cover. As I walked towards the shelf my gut reaction was "stop looking, this is the book you're gonna buy." I looked it over and found it interesting, but kept searching.

Sure enough, 30 minutes later, I was buying this book. I had to blog this story of buying the book because it encapsulates what this book is about. I had a split second reaction that was on point. Blink is about how our brain makes judgments that are instinctive and often access our whole arsenal of experience within an instant. It is learning to explore that split second reaction because there is something to it. When I first understood the premise I was hesitant but the author makes it clear that those split second decisions can be poisoned by prejudice, and we need to develop our experience to correct such a problem.

Gladwell uses great stories to develop his points and this book is no exception. While it wasn't as good as "The Tipping Point", it was still enjoyable. I have to do a LOT of reading with work and school, but when I am in that place, I find I read more. During the summer or a break, if I am not reading for those things, I often won't read for fun either. Weird, but it's how I work. This book was a quick read (done in a week), and is a nice break from heavy reading. It's worth picking up if you like to consider the way people think.

0 comments:

© 2011 trent lewis

all rights reserved