Pages

Thursday, October 30, 2008

Election Countdown
W is as disappointing as the administration it depicts.

Photobucket
That hair doesn’t just happen, it takes our tax dollars to make it look that good.


I got a chance to see W last week and I have to say, it was not as good as it could have been. Now the timing of its release is clearly deliberate, depicting a failing administration right before America chooses a new one. I’ve heard some pundits crying foul, but give me a break. All this does is give them more opportunities to yell “liberal Hollywood”, so everyone wins.

In my opinion, it was this rush to get the film done before the election that actually hurt it. When I watch other historical movies, there is usually a couple decades between the event and the film. This time allows our memories to be more forgiving. When you watch a film about events from current headlines, when the real people are fresh in your mind, it taints the viewing. It felt like I was watching a Saturday Night Live sketch when Colin Powell and Dick Chenney were portrayed by well-known actors. The portrayal of Bush felt as over the top at times as a performance from Will Ferrel.

The story was interesting but didn’t sustain the entire length of the film. I get that they’re saying George is lazy and has daddy issues, but that was where it stopped. Its big reveal was that George Bush went out of his way to try and create a need to attack Iraq. WOW, really, that is shocking. I’ve been hearing that in the news for months. There was nothing fresh about the performances or the story.

Toward the end, I was so bored that I actually fell asleep. Now, I haven’t fallen asleep in the theater since I use to see 11:30 screenings in college. I was disappointed and wish that Oliver Stone had taken the time to let some time pass between the film and the administration. It would also allow him to rework the script and work with the actors. I say wait till its out on DVD and see what you think then. At that point we will have a new president and be able to laugh a little more at this little film.

0 comments:

© 2011 trent lewis

all rights reserved