Pages

Thursday, April 17, 2008

21; not worth doubling-down, but not a bust.

***Standard Spoiler Warning. This article contains my opinions on this film and reveals parts of the story that you may want to be surprised by. I find these twists and turns predictable, but if you haven’t seen it you may want to be surprised.***


Photobucket
The hot girl that wouldn’t talk to you back home on your arm
and tens of thousands of dollars in winnings in front of you
This is the way Vegas works right?




I had heard from a few people that this was a great movie. Critics gave positive feedback, America certainly supported it at the box office, so this should be good right? Well, I would say yes it was pretty good. Not great, but pretty good. I found the story to be kind of weak and predictable. None of the performances were distracting and that is a good thing for a film with young stars. Vegas is an amazing visual setting for any film and this was certainly the case in this movie.

But I found myself mildly entertained throughout this film and only annoyed at a few moments. The first thing that made me laugh was what caused the protagonist to make some bad bets that jeopardized his future. This guy got in an argument with a couple friends over a microchip for a robot competition. After this nerd fight he goes on to make 2 bad bets and loose $200,000 dollars in 40 seconds. This is ridiculous. I mean, really? A nerd fight that leads to you risking your livelihood? Come on.

The other issue I had was with the ending. Not the “surprise” at the end, but the way that the lead combined his Nerd friends with his Vegas friends and every walked out having made money. I mean it was just lame… come on, we don’t need to tie everything together at the end, it’s a film not an episode of Growing Pains. So, with those minor complaints, I’d encourage you to check this film out with friends, but don’t feel the need to rush out and watch it. It’s popcorn, it’s fun, it’s worth your time.

0 comments:

© 2011 trent lewis

all rights reserved