Pages

Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Blog: Vampires are interesting


Now, I am a manly man, but I would probably be up for getting a piggy back ride on the back of a vampire if we we're going to fly around the trees. Also, if he promised to not kill me.


"Vampire books, aren't we past that?" These were my initial thoughts when I first read about Stephenie Myers' books in Entertainment Weekly. They generated a lot of attention among teens and when I saw the cover I realized that I'd seen many people I know reading these books. I still haven't finished the Harry Potter books, so I am not about to get into another series. The phenomenon faded into the distance and then, a few weeks before the release there was a huge buzz about this little movie and people waiting in line days before to see it. The weekend of release, I didn't want to be near a theater but that next week I caught the movie with a friend.

Sure, I had ulterior motives to see it. (Working with teens, I want to know what is in their world.) But, I have to confess, I was interested in seeing this film even without considering it a write off. Besides the 30's classic Bela Lugosi, Vampire films are a disappointment. Even a film with two great actors like Tom Cruise and Brad Pitt was lame, so how will a film with no-name teen stars do better? Well the real difference is story. I found this movie to be interesting because its really a love story in a setting of vampires and teen age angst. I felt like I got the answers I wanted when it came to the mythology, but still felt focused on the connection of the lead characters. It had funny moments that made me laugh out loud in the theater even if they didn't mean for them to be funny. (Like, when I realized the vampires 'father' was in Can't Hardly Wait playing a teenager just a decade earlier.

I didn't find the story predictable and overall, give the movie a B- or C+. It felt a little bit too much like an Episode of One Tree Hill, or any other teen drama on the CW when it came to the look of the movie. Hopefully they will spend the money on production, now that they know they will make the money. It had the worst cameo ever from the author. Seriously, it was really bad. It made M. Night Shyamalan's lame appearances in his films look subtle. I felt the tension throughout the film and knew I was being set up for sequels, but I didn't mind that. Now, call me a logical romantic but I did have a slight problem with the whole fall in love with someone who is a human-killing monster. Don't get me wrong, I love a good love story, but love someone that drinks blood?!?

Don't get me wrong, I suspended both belief and logic to be entertained, and I was. I'd encourage you to give this movie a shot, if it sounds remotely interesting. If you loathe these kinds of teen movies, then save the money. Now, will I be rushing out to the theater to catch the next installment? No. But I will definitely look forward to seeing where the story goes, without having to read. With three more books that are sure to be made into movies, it's clear that Vampires are not just a thing of the past, but will certainly be a part of the future.

0 comments:

© 2011 trent lewis

all rights reserved