Pages

Tuesday, February 26, 2008

More Maybe than Definitely.

Photobucket
I would work a campaign if I knew there were unpretentious hotties making copies.



When I first saw the previews for the romantic comedy, “Definitely, Maybe” I found myself annoyed. Annoyed at another lame romantic comedy or “Rom-Com” as I learned people in the movie industry call this genre. Annoyed that it appeared Abigail Breslin from “Little Miss Sunshine” had lost the charm she once had. I was just annoyed at what seemed like a movie that relied completely on formula, not story.

This trailer seemed to be played before every movie I saw for 3 months and it was wearing on me. One night, hanging with a few friends we decided that an evening at the cinema sounded like the best choice for all of us. This is how I end up seeing movies that I am sure I won’t like. I am with a group of friends, we decide we want to see a movie but with no specific film in mind. As this movie is the only film that fits our time slot, I insist that we should not see this movie. One friend who has similar movie tastes steps up and says, “I agree, the previews look lame but it’s from the writer/director of Notting Hill and Love Actually.” At that revelation, I concede and we end up seeing the film.

Well, the movie was not as bad as I thought it was going to be. I found myself not horribly annoyed by Abigail Breslin. Ryan Reynolds who I just can’t believe was only a minor distraction. The redeeming factor that allowed me to make it past all this accumulating annoyance was that I found myself drawn in by the “find out who my mom is” mystery. I actually couldn’t figure it out and really wanted to discover who was mommy. This is rare. I am not claiming to be a brilliant guy, but I can usually figure twists out before they’re revealed. (i.e. “The Prestige”, figured that out 30 minutes in.) So, in that way I was entertained. But as the movie went on I realized that this film was nothing like “Notting Hill”, “Love Actually” or “4 Weddings and a Funeral”.

As the credits began to role, I pulled out my phone and logged on to IMDB.com. This movie was in no way connected with any of my British favorites. My friend had completely misspoken. I had a big hint when there were no British characters and felt nothing like the other movies. So the moral of the story is three fold.

1- Definitely wait for Netflix, this movie is cute enough to watch on the couch with a date but not worth seeing in the theatre.

2- Trust your gut, if a movie looks cheesy in a preview chances are it won’t be good.

3- Confirm claims that change your stance via IMDB.

3 comments:

Eddie Q said...

I think the industry term for a "romantic comedy" is a Rom-Com.

I'm pretty sure that "Ro-Co" is the gorilla that learned sign language.

Trent Lewis said...

I've heard Ro-Co... Maybe it's Rom-Com, who knows. I will ask my friend tomorrow and see if it's just a senior moment.

Trent Lewis said...

It is Rom-Com, I changed it. Eddie you were right and I was wrong.

© 2011 trent lewis

all rights reserved